The success of a nation always depends on the success of its youth and it is the promulgation of Online Skill India Programme courses that has paved the way to make India a skilled nation. Training Skill India Mission, launched on July 15, 2015, by our honorable Prime Minister Narendra Modi to encourage the youth of our country with specific skill sets, making them employable and productive in their work environment. Every ministry under the Government of India is engaged in the massive Skill development program in India to train manpower in India.
Skill India Program Development will encourage and groom professionals to contribute substantially to India’s industrialization and economic growth. It is estimated that over 400 million women and men in the nation will be made competent in various industrial and trade skills by the year 2022. It is definitely going to be a positive foray to remove poverty, and reducing unemployment on a large scale. Certificates will be delivered to those who complete a particular skill or programme and this certificate has to be accepted by all public and private agencies and entities, including overseas organizations. Skill India mission is a programme designed for the entire nation.
Objectives of ‘Skill India Programme’
- The program is expected to reduce dependence on urban and semi-urban jobs.
- It will foster and develop Micro, small and Medium Enterprises by providing ample work opportunities in rural India.
- It also strives to achieve gender equality for income in India
- The new programme aims at providing training and skill development to 500 million youth of our country by 2020.
- The program will bring many foreign countries to impart specific skill mission to train Indians.
- A very good conducive environment will be created for employment, education system, and technological advancements.
Features of ‘Skill India Programme’
- Provide training to all Indian citizens, especially youth, so that they get proper employment or become a successful entrepreneur.
- Emphasis to provide training, guidance and financial support to various trades like blacksmiths, fashion designers, leather crafters, carpenter, nurses, tailors, and handloom artisans.
- Provide training to groom young talents in core sectors such as Real Estate, Jewellery, banking, tourism, transport, and various other services.
- The training will strive to meet the requirement for foreign countries too. Several foreign countries like UK, US, Israel, Germany, and France have signed up as Skill India partners.
- The emphasis is to train the manpower to meet the demand of the industrialized countries of the world.
- Another blossoming feature of the ‘Skill India’ programme would be to standardize and certify the training process by establishing a project called ‘Rural India Skill’.
- Innovative features under ‘Skill-India Mission ‘will strive to train manpower in effective communications, entrepreneurial skills, and others.
Who can avail training courses under Skill India?
All Skill India Development Program and courses are open to every citizen of this nation, regardless of age, gender and location. Though the main focus is on youth, women, and men who are within the working age range, subject to qualifications.
Read Also: Three Things To Make A Good Teacher
These qualifications include literacy and working knowledge of some industry. Skill India Programme and courses are offered in various Indian languages, in an endeavor to convey benefits to all ethnic groups of the country. In addition, Online Skill India courses can also be aimed to reward:
- Self Help Groups- General Category
- Self Help Groups- Women
- Economically challenged sections of the Indian society
- Organizations battling child labor in India
Advantages of ‘Skill India Programme’
- The main motto is to raise confidence.
- The emphasis is to increase productivity by employing skilled manpower.
- It will enable the rural population to get blue-collar jobs.
- It also strives to achieve gender equality for income in India.
- Every job aspirant would be delivered training in soft skills to grab a lucrative job and lead a decent life ahead.
- Academic Institutions, corporate bodies would help the program in the longer run.
- There has been an increase in economic growth rate. A steady growth rate in GDP too.
- More and more employment opportunities are getting boosted by good dispersal of resources.
- This economic progress will lead to technological advancements.
- Sustainable skilled development will stop people from migrating to urban from rural areas.
- A sense of global competitiveness has been triggered in the nation after skill training and vocation programs.
- It provides support and guidance for facilitating a better social environment.
Trainers for Skill India and opportunities
Trainers in any sector under ‘Skill- India Programme’ are welcomed by the Indian government. They can easily get in touch with any of the Skill India related websites online and file applications. Trainers are selected purely on merit basis. Remuneration will be paid according to the ministry and partner organizations conducting courses. Entrepreneurs are welcomed to tie-up with various ministries to offer an array of training courses under Skill India mission .
Schemes for skill development
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- Financial Support for Skill Training of Persons with Disabilities
- National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
- Craftsmen Training Scheme
- Apprenticeship training
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra
- Skill development for minorities
- Green Skill Development Programme
Impact of Skill India Programme on colleges in India
- There has been a steep rise in the number of ITIs. The total number of seats in ITIs has increased by 44 % in May 2017. There has also been a steep rise in enrolment of students in ITIs from 17.80 lakh in 2013-14 to 22.4 lakh in 2016-17. Short-term training centers under NSDC have also scaled up. The number of training centers has also escalated by 85.9 %. 63 curricula have undergone up gradation after thorough consultation with the industry. 35 new trades have been introduced.
- Special emphasis has been given on Renewable energy, Instrumentation, and Mechatronics, who are likely to get maximum demand in the future. In a similar way, Short –term courses, a model curriculum for 405 courses and content for 252 courses have been upgraded. Industry connect is welcomed at every stage of the skill training cycle at the skill-based training centers in India. The government of India launched the National Vocational Education Qualification Framework (NVEQF) which later changed into National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF).
- In lieu to make education, ‘industry-friendly’ skilled workforce is the need of the hour. the institutions are starting community colleges, B. Voc Degree programme, Deen Dayal Upadhyay Kaushal Kendra to offer an array of skill-based courses which are in constant dialogue with the industry norms and respective sector skill council(s).
- All the programmes/courses designed for skill component should be job oriented. the Institutions should offer a course in areas which have significant demand in the job market.
- Model curriculum designed by the concerned Sector Skill Councils, wherever available, may be adopted in consultation with the industry partners. Wherever the curriculum is not designed, the same may be designed in consultation with the relevant Sector Skill Councils and industry partners
- The basic education component may also include the course(s) related to communication skills, soft skills, critical thinking, ICT skills, problem-solving, value education, and environmental studies.
- In less than two years of its inception), the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) registered 3,16,671 placements as on February 2018.
- The current labor demand and supply skill mismatch indicate a severe disconnect between the education/skilling industries and the labor market. In moving forward, skill development initiatives need to be better coordinated.
Under the mission, all skill India training Programme and initiatives were brought under the umbrella of the newly created Ministry of Skills Development Program in India and Entrepreneurship (MSDE). Currently, several central and state ministries, aside from MSDE, are also opening courses on vocational education and training (VET) to meet the proposed target.
The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has promulgated various initiatives to reach out to the vast rural population that has been not reached or are remotely distanced.
Today we are witnessing a steep rise in the number of individuals who are joining skill india courses online to secure a life of dignity and prosperity. From the AC technician to the Mine welder, Skill India is providing a gamut of openings to the aspiring youth across all sectors, which could make them employable, earn a decent salary, and contribute substantially to India’s industrialization and economic growth.
What is the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)?
NSDC the executive arm of MSDE has been engaged in providing training via its wide network of more than 350 training partners. The organization has been playing an instrumental role in training more than 16 lakh women in the short/long-term courses (3 months to one year) which accounts for more than 40% women amongst total trained candidates. Some of the prominent options of skill training for women have been IT and ITES, Construction and Real Estate Services, Banking and Financial Services, Education and Skill Development Services, Electronics and IT, Textiles and Clothing, Beauty and Wellness, Retail, and Healthcare. Women are encouraged to enroll and focus on soft skills and entrepreneurship skills. Women are encouraged to be productive in order to achieve gender equality for income in India and to achieve our Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Motto for Skill-India – “Inspire, Transform, Reform, & Inform.”
So Today, we can take a pledge, Use online Skill-India courses to inspire ourselves, transform ourselves so that India can definitely achieve its targeted results.