RP Sanjiv Goenka Group Chairman, Sanjiv Goenka, has been renominated as the Chairman of the Board of Governors at IIT-Kharagpur.
Highlights of Renomination
1. Goenka’s name was nominated by President, Pranab Mukherjee, in his capacity as Visitor of the Institute
2. This will be his second stint as the Chairman of Board of Governors.
3. His previous stint, being between 2002 and 2007
4. The RP SG group chairman has also been a member of the Prime Minister’s Council on Trade & Industry.
5. He has been associated with several academic institutions as member and chair of its Governing bodies.
6. He will be Chairman for three years in his second term as the Chairman of the pretigious institute.
7. He has also been associated with several academic institutions as member and chair of its Governing bodies.
“I am privileged and honoured.” Goenka was quoted as per a release issued by the institute.
“IIT Kharagpur is delighted to announce the nomination of Sanjiv Goenka as the chairman of its BoG. President Pranab Mukherjee, in his capacity as visitor of the institute, has been pleased to nominate Sanjiv Goenka, as chairman for a period of three years,” stated a release by IIT-Kharagpur. “We are delighted to have Goenka back with us in the Institute to chair the BoG again. We look forward to reaching greater heights under his guidance. He was the chairman when I was appointed as the Dean. My initial discussion with him on his taking charge as chairman again has been extremely encouraging,” said Prof P P Chakrabarti, director, IIT-Kharagpur.
The Goenka Group
It is headquartered in Kolkata with significant presence in power, retail, carbon black, media and entertainment etc. Its flagship is 118-year-old power utility CESC. Forty-four-year-old Goenka heads this Rs 8000 crore enterprise.